Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I've Seen Fire and I've Seen Rain

Well, the last month has been pretty interesting.  With the lack of rain and un seasonably high temperatures, the east has started to burn.  I've been working for Pulaski Wildland Fire Crew since September, and have finally been able to get out on some fires.  This last weekend we pulled 40 hours over three days keeping a fire contained.  The terrain was steep, it kept threatening to rain, and we had a lot of line to dig.  We got paired up with a correctional crew, who contained some very generous and good hearted people.  With their help we trenched a fire line around the 22  acre area, and then proceeded to light back fires to starve the main fire for fuel.  Got to use a drip torch for the first time.  It was worth lugging that heavy thing up the mountain for 2 days.  After day three my body was completely wrecked, and I was extremely happy to trade out my boots for flip flops for a couple days.

The fires keep coming with lightning strikes and brush burning getting out of hand.  Can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings, as I try to get westward.

No comments:

Post a Comment