Wednesday, September 22, 2010

But What Can You Do ?

Yesterday I got a text from my sister that I have been expecting for a while.  She was on the way to the hospital, contractions had started.  Hmmm, doesn't the kid know that he wasn't due for arrival until around the 27th?  I had received the text on the way into Bent Creek forest, a dead zone as far as cell phone coverage is concerned.  After reading the text, the first thing on my mind was "how is she getting to the hospital?  Were my parents trying to be out there for all this?  Was John able to take her?"  After contemplating all this for a while, I came to a conclusion.  Regardless of the answer to these questions, what could I actually do about any of them?  Through out my life I have had a bad habit of what if, and what can I do?  I want to fix things and make them better.  I got my certification in EMS last year, maybe this was an underlying reason.  I wondered if I should call her and make sure that everything was ok,  I wanted to call my parents and make sure that they knew.  Then the more that I thought about it, the more I kept coming to the same conclusion.  I am 2000 miles away, what could I possibly do?  I knew that she has always surrounded herself with people that could help her if she needed.  I needed to trust that these people would.  After putting all of this into perspective, I was able to pedal off into the woods.  I know that I need to be able to adapt this to other parts of my life to keep my brain and heart form exploding from anxiety.  Sometimes no matter how much you want to be involved or to do something about it, it's better to realize that there is not much I can do to affect the outcome good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment