Saturday, September 18, 2010

Leaves of Grass

Long ride in the woods today.  Been spending a lot of time on the road bike the last few days, but I know that I will always love mountain biking.  Something about being away from the speed of life.  In the woods no matter how fast the pedals and wheels are spinning, time seems slower.

 I love taking the time to get lost in my head.  Alone on the 8 inch wide strip of North Carolina dirt, I'm able to wrestle with things inside my head and slowly feel my shoulders lower as the tension eases, even if only for a few moments.  My new favorite route is to start out at Rice Pinnacle parking lot, ride up North Boundry, down Greenslick, up Sidehill, up Wash Creek , cross the parkway over to Trace Ridge and then ride back.  This ride gives me plenty of time to just pedal, not even conscious of the job my body is doing to propel me through the forest.

On this ride I find a weird balance.  I revel in the solitude, my mood brightening as I leave the crowded trails of Bent Creek behind, but I also have enough time to remember all of the people that I have ridden these trails with.  Some I still ride with, others only come along with me as a memory.  Bicycles have allowed me to see amazing places around the country, and to meet even greater people.  Both of these making lasting impressions.  Even on the days I don't have a camera, it never matters.  These rides will always be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment