Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dumpster Bike Reborn just in time for .......rain.

I have to say that I kinda take pride in dumpster bike.  As it's name implies, it was a dumpster rescue in Blacksburg, VA.  As far as I can tell, it used to be an REI brand Novara Reason 1.  This thing is HEAVY.  520 straight gauge steel coming in at a 6.2 pound frame weight.  It's heavy, it's rusty, it's a little too big, but I love this bike.  It keeps morphing according to my mood.  69er, fixed flat bar cross bike, Freestyle fixed gear, it takes it all in stride.  It's latest incarnation is another fixed gear with 26" wheels, and flipped mary bars.  I loved riding fixed offroad for some reason.  Maybe I just like the attention, or because people tell me it's a bad idea.  I love that it's ugly.  I had a guy come into the shop and asked "what's the story with the ugliest bike in the world out there?  Man that thing is ugly."  He then proceeded to ask if it was for sale.  There is something satisfying, riding past the high dollar rigs, on a machine that looks like it will give any one in a 10 foot radius staff infection.  I've ridden it all over Pisgah, ridden it fixed for solo class at Burn 24, and commuted the hell out of it.  I will probably never get rid of this bike.  Sure I could probably sell it a couple hundred bucks that could be put into the nice bike.  I will probably just keep dressing it in ridiculous guises.

What the bike probably looked like in a past life
What it looks like today 




Thanks to Tomi McMiller for making an awesome bolt on cog.
RIP  stripped track hubs you won't be missed.



Crap, my bike kinda looks like the one on the sign






And now for random video time.



No comments:

Post a Comment