Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Great White Hype




My favorite time of year has come around. It's hurricane season again in the south east. We've had three systems off our coast for the last couple days. It's time to chase some storms! I've been watching the Folly Beach surf cam for the past few days.  Hurricane season is always the best time to make up for the usual east coast flatness.  Soooo... just like every other time I plan a quick trip down to Folly, I always have plans of getting on the road by 7.  Once again, that goal was FAR from met.  Like a kid on Christmas (yes I said Christmas, suck it all you haters) insomnia set in.  For the life of me, I could not sleep grrr !  Wondered if I was still reacting weirdly to the mass amounts of benadryl that I had consumed to combat a lovely reaction to a bee sting the other day.  Anywho,  I proceeded to watch my new favorite tv series (well it's not really tv since I have to watch it on the laptop)  The 808.  This series kicks ass!  Seriously, how can you not like a series about surfing in Kuai and angry Hawaiins?  4 o clock  rolls around and finally get to sleep. I get the van loaded and gassed up, and finally get on the road about 9:00.  Alright, let the drive begin.  Luckily I'm going down the friday before Labor Day, and fully expect to be sitting in a parking lot on 26 for most of the trip.  For some strange reason, I make it down in the usual 4 hrs.  Ok, time to buy some warm weather wax, cuz I'm sick of my cold water wax left over from VA Beach melting all over the place.  Roll into Longboards and go to pick up a couple of bars.  "3.00 please".  Ok, no problem, whip out the debit card.  "Um sorry there is a 10.00 minimum for card purchases, do you have any cash?"  Crap, who the hell still carries cash these days?  Hold on, I'll look around.  End up with "free" wax after buying an 18 dollar shop shirt.  Oh well, support the locals.  On to The Washout.  Hmmm surf looks good, tide has filled in pretty nicely but.....isn't this hurricane season?  The report said head high +1.  This stuff is looking chest high at best.  I guess they use the same measuring system as Pinkbike, powered by 13 year old groms.  At least we got some waves!  So, 14 footers or not the day turns into a good session, with clean waves, no morons vibing, and the added bonus of USC being back in session and blessing the scenery with their student population.  It's always sad to see summer come to a close, but I love how it always goes out with a bang.





No comments:

Post a Comment